Friday, September 30, 2011

Persian Lamb with Pomegranate Molasses

Serves: 6 Persons, Preparation time: 15 mins, Cook time: 3.5 - 4 hrs.


Living in Kent. on the outskirts of London, i'm fortunate to have supermarkets nearby that provide practically any ingredient I'm searching for - but they recently failed me.

I was hunting for pomegranate molasses, the sweet but tangy syrup that brings astringency and sourness to Middle Eastern dishes, in a similar manner to lemon juice or tamarind.

Having already bought all the other ingredients to make a persian-style shoulder of lamb, I decided to have a go at making my own, using the remains of a carton of chilled pomegranate juice.

To 350ml juice, I added the juice of half a lemon and 2 tbsp sugar, then let it boil down and reduce in a large frying pan to approx 75ml. This very successfully provided me with about 4-5 syrupy tablespoons for my recipe.

Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Meanwhile, slice 4 red onions and put in a large roasting tin with 6 peeled garlic cloves. Sit a 2kg shoulder of lamb on top, then drizzle the lamb with 4-5 tbsp pomegranate molasses (bought or homemade), 1 tbsp ground coriander, 2 tsp ground cumin and some flaky salt.

Pour 350ml water round the lamb and cover the tin with foil. Put in the oven, then immediately turn the oven down to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and cook for 3Y:z·4 hrs until meltingly tender.

Serve with olive oil mash and veg or couscous flavored with lots of parsley and mint :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...